struts-user mailing list archives

From <Greg.Red...@alltel.com>
Subject RE: Struts Productivity Survey
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2003 15:39:52 GMT
Ok, so let me pose it a different way.  Put yourself in this position:

You're a consultant or an architect who has been tasked with building a Struts application
with 100 screens.  You're actually migrating an application which was originally written as
a fat client app in VB and the server was written in C++.

You have about 50 developers who know VB and C++ pretty well.  Some of them know Java/JSP/Servlets
very well.  Some of them know it very little.  None of them know Struts.

Your job is to estimate the cost of getting these folks up to speed on Struts.  You already
have the application design.  THere's going to be a thin business layer called by the Action
classes that will use EJB session beans to provide application functionality.  Fairly simple.
 You have to train these people to use Struts, create actions and pages, and write the web-tier
business layer.  Somebody else is doing the EJB stuff.

How do you estimate that cost?
How long do you think it will take for these various developers to write their first business
function?
How long to do the next one, etc?