struts-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Separating settings from texts in Ressources
Date Tue, 21 Jan 2003 01:02:22 GMT

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, Thorsten Schäfer wrote:

> Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 17:37:55 +0100
> From: Thorsten Schäfer <Newsletter@ThorstenSchaefer.de>
> Subject: Separating settings from texts in Ressources
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm using a properties file in which there are some settings (name of
> database, ...) and also a lot of text to show in the JSPs. If I want to
> i18n my application, I've to translate these text. Is there a way to
> separate the settings from the text?

This function is pretty much what the <bean:message> tag is for.  You keep
your various translations in properties files, and the tag picks the
correct one based on the Locale associated with this user.

For an example of this in action, deploy the struts-example webapp (from
1.1b3) and change your browser preferences to Japanese.  The Japanese
resourcess will be used automatically.

> TIA,
>
> Thorsten

Craig