struts-user mailing list archives

From Michelle Harris <michelle.har...@travelocity.com>
Subject Error using Validator (newbie)
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2002 22:53:54 GMT
Hello, I'm very new to using the Struts' Validator (have been using
Husted's Struts In Action as a guide). I am trying most to use Validator
in Struts 1.0.2 as that is required by my company. However, I have tried
my webapp in Struts 1.1 in an attempt to get it to work as well. When I
hit the submit button on a simple login form, I get a
NullPointerException in version 1.0.2 and a regular Exception in 1.1.
Both exceptions have the following line in common: <>

at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:247)

However, the Struts 1.1 gives more information and says that the root
cause is because "java.lang.NoSuchFieldError:
org.apache.commons.validator.Validator: field SERVLET_CONTEXT_KEY not
found". Of course, my form doesn't contain a field called
"SERVLET_CONTEXT_KEY".

I am running Tomcat 4.1.12 with java 1.3.

I am attaching the stack traces for Struts 1.0 and for Struts 1.1. Any
help you could give on this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Michelle Harris