struts-user mailing list archives

From "James Mitchell" <jmitc...@telocity.com>
Subject RE: name of zip file???chuck cavaness book
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2002 13:06:06 GMT

That's great.  I'm sure Chuck would appreciate it.

> But wait a minute i think u should always think of the possibility
> wherein a newbie honestly looking all out to get some packaged material
> on the technology to use and  promote in one's own place of working...

True.

> The reason why i am screaming BOOK!!! BOOK!!!  is, i honestly thought it
> is not the issue with the chuck books getting printed rather... some s/w
> devolper has overwritten a jsp page(download.jsp) at theserverside.com....

Yes, and that's perfectly understandable.

> Had it not been the case they would have also removed the link
> http://www2.theserverside.com/resources/strutsreview.jsp which talks
> about downloading the book chapters and then takes to a
> different page altogether!!!!

I understand where you are coming from.  Unless I'm way off and this
whole this was (as you say) an overwritten jsp, it's not fair for the reader
or the author that there are pages with bad information and/or links on
them.

I mean, what's the author supposed to say....."the preview is no longer
free"????
That's only going to piss off people.  And that's the last thing you want to
do is
piss off your audience....especially with a book on such a specific topic.

> there would surely have just been a list... no hyperlinks ..no
> instructions to download it ...

> Also i have enquired at bookstore in my local area ...Chuck's book has not
> reached the book stores yet!!!
>
> I gather... u have been a very sincere, honest and dedicated s/w
> professional ...but does ur innate humanity not gives you all the more
> reasons to trust others too???

My message was not intended to be personal.  I'm sorry if it came off that
way.  In fact, I had put "don't take this personally" before sending, but
decided to delete it because it is such an over-used phrase to hide
vindictive comments.

> Thanks and Regards
> Shalu

James "I can't believe he didn't pick Brook!!!" Mitchell
Software Engineer/Struts Evangelist
http://www.open-tools.org

"If you were plowing a field, which would you rather use? Two strong oxen or
1024 chickens?"
- Seymour Cray (1925-1996), father of supercomputing