struts-user mailing list archives

From "James Turner" <tur...@blackbear.com>
Subject RE: struts-user Digest 19 Nov 2002 16:44:11 -0000 Issue 2291
Date Sun, 24 Nov 2002 16:45:51 GMT
On Tuesday, November 19th, Dudley.Butt@za.didata.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> here is a list of struts books available, without being
> biased, can anyone tell me which books will be worth buying,
> and why? I'm not  new to struts, although i haven't been using
> it for a year or so. I need to have a decent book to bring me
> up to date with the latest struts goodies. Also, preferably
> with some advanced struts stuff.

Just to echo what others have said, you probably need to buy more than
one to get the full picture.  For example, Kevin and I wrote "Struts
Kick Start" to very much be a "get going with Struts fast" type of book.
Toward that end, we explictly don't get into things like replacing the
command processor, since we felt that that kind of "under the hood"
information can distract from learning the tool initially.  So clearly
Ted or Chuck will probably do a better job of explaining the
implementation details.

On the other hand, we try to remain grounded in application development,
so we probably spend more time showing how to use Struts in live example
applications, and how to integrate it into web services and EJB
implementations.

Also, because Struts is changing as we speak, the later a book came out
(assuming relatively equal production times), the more up to date it
might be. (Note that since our book is coming out last, this can rightly
be construed as being handed lemons and making lemondade...)

In any event, the best solution (as always) is to sit down with a couple
of them in the B&N café and see which one fits your style.  There
probably isn't one "best book" for everyone.

James