struts-user mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Smith" <KevinA.Sm...@sas.com>
Subject RE:[OT] Struts1.1 B2 BUG OR Weblogic 6.1 SP2 BUG??????????
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2002 17:17:40 GMT
I've experienced a very similar problem with WL (I can't remember the version number but I
think it was in the 6.x series) on W2K and WinNT.

The short version is that not shutting down the WebLogic server cleanly causes this problem.
The operating system socket resources are not being released. Even though the socket and port
do not show up on a netstat, the OS thinks they are in use. The only workaround we had was
to bounce the entire box. Not fun.

The longer version is that WebLogic rolled their own socket handling code using a combination
of native code and Java. My theory is that they did this to get the benefits of select() before
it was available in JDK 1.4 (java.nio.*). Something about a less than clean shutdown causes
the native code to do bad things.

--Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Eddie Bush [mailto:ekbush@swbell.net]
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 1:13 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Struts1.1 B2 BUG OR Weblogic 6.1 SP2 BUG??????????

I honestly don't know :-/  If it's a Struts issue it needs a bug filed
against it (I don't think I've seen one for this).  My bet is on it
being a WebLogic and/or config issue though.  Unfortunately, I'm not
sure where to point you for a solution :-(

Hopefully someone that uses WebLogic can point you toward a solution.
 Could you post additional information that may help them assist you?
 It would be helpful to know how your server is setup probably - are you
clustered as Kevin suggested?

Good Luck!

--
Eddie Bush