struts-user mailing list archives

From Marcus Biel <Marcus.B...@bmw.de>
Subject Re: How to use Templates efficently ?
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 08:33:24 GMT
Hi Cedric,
I just had a look at Chuck's chapter about tiles.
I didn't read the whole chapter yet, only the half,
but from what I've read so far, it doesn't seem to be so different from
templates,
just gots some enhanced features.
Btw: I also read that it was you who created it! :-)
So you should be the perfect person to ask about tiles:
I still can't see a reason to use tiles instead of a simple include
file.

I mean, okay, you can easily change your entire layout. BUT -
in return you got twice as much files!
For each file you need a content.jsp and a content-body.jsp.

It might be useful to easily change your entire layout -
but imho in the majority of cases you always got the same header and
footer,
and you'r unlikly going to put your copyright footer at the top of you
pages or your header at the bottom.

If your just including header and footer, you got much less pages to
create and to administrate, in contrast
to a minor drawback that you can't easily put your footer at the top of
your page.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Marcus