struts-user mailing list archives

From "Malcolm Davis" <malc...@nuearth.com>
Subject RE: Indemnification & copyright
Date Mon, 23 Sep 2002 21:04:53 GMT
I appreciate everybody’s comments.

This problem extends beyond Struts, but to all freeware,
opens source, etc, inside this particular organization.  The
organization is a multi-billion dollar IT firm, (I will
leave it at that).

1.  The contribution of the copyright or patent material
might be totally accidental in nature.
2.  Apache does not indemnify the software against copyright
or patent infringement.

I like the ‘receipt for cheap car stereo’ analogy.

Microsoft paid $100 Million over ‘accidental patent material
’ regarding DoubleDisk technology.  How accidental I don’t
know.  But this is the fear of these corporate lawyers.

- Malcolm

-----Original Message-----
From: Malcolm Davis [mailto:malcolm@nuearth.com]
Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2002 7:02 PM
To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Indemnification & copyright

To Struts Team, Developers and Users

I am presently in a predicament on my present contract.  I
am not allowed to use STRUTS unless my employer can be
indemnified from copyright or patent infringement.
1.  Is there anyway my employer can be indemnified from
copyright or patent infringement with Struts?
2.  Is there a company that provides this service?
3.  Is this really an issue with Struts?

The liability extends from the use of intellectual property.
A developer knowingly or unknowingly contributes a piece of
software to the Open Source community that contains
intellectual property.  I then use that piece of open source
software.

Thanks for any comments,
malcolm