struts-user mailing list archives

From Michaƫl <mich...@idtect.com>
Subject RE: [core] Architectural considerations
Date Thu, 05 Sep 2002 15:28:31 GMT
> Ps. Best practice is to keep your session object as small as possible.

I used to believe that but now I'm not so sure.  I think it's more efficient
to read in a large object graph and store it into the session when the user
logs in, instead of reading the same data from the database over and over.
This works when you don't have a high volume of users and your data is
mostly read only.  When this works, the application is simplified quite a
bit.  Instead of going to Actions to get data from the facade which gets it
from a DAO which gets it from the database, a taglib can read it right out
of the session and populate the JSP page!  Again, this works when you have
mostly read only data and a low number concurrent users.

Michael