struts-user mailing list archives

From "Lister, Tom (ANTS)" <tom.lis...@ants.co.uk>
Subject Nested tags and performance (after compiling)
Date Mon, 02 Sep 2002 08:05:21 GMT
Hi
This isn't a compile problem. The pages performance are consistently slow
even after the first access.
I've heard that tag libraries can cause performance problems.
Does anyone have strategies for dealing with this?
Is it related to the nested tag library in particular?
We've put traces in to the detail part if the master detail display using
nested tags and the performance is erratic ( on a machine we have control
over) hence we suspect it's the garbage collection removing objects created
by the tags.

:-)
Tom Lister
* 020 7612 3030
* tom.lister@ants.co.uk

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Lee [mailto:mleejr@hotmail.com]
Sent: 28 August 2002 15:54
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Nested tags performance

In addition to pre-compiling, most JSP engines compile only once unless a
new version of your JSP is added so it should only be slow upon first hit.

I've run into this problem before. The solution is...
Don't show the bosses/customers the product until you run through on
iteration of testing on all the jsps you plan to show!
With bosses/customers, it rarely matters when you say 'But it's only slow
the first time'! They don't understand compiled/slow once.

Michael Lee