struts-user mailing list archives

From Eddie Bush <ekb...@swbell.net>
Subject Re: [OT] Java Server Faces and Developer Life Comments
Date Sun, 01 Sep 2002 22:58:19 GMT
You're probably aware that I've been evaluating IDEs recently.  I
finally wound up deciding that Netbeans 3.4 suited my needs/wants more
closely than any other IDE.  Yes, you're kind of locked in to whatever
Tomcat installation they packaged with it, but, other than that, it's
really nice.  That, plus a locally (in my user directory) installed TC
4.1.19 (the beta2) with a browser (Mozilla kicks!) having a tab opened
to the admin and a tab opened to the manager works super.  I ... would
like to see better support for other Tomcat versions in Netbeans, but,
overall, I find it very satisfactory.

One of the biggest things I disliked was the fact that you can't specify
a heirarchy as a "source heirarchy" - and can't specify where it would
compile to.  I get around this using a (very) simple ant script.
 Overall, I really think Netbeans is the ideal web-app IDE.  Yes, it's
missing some nice features of the other IDEs, but ... it doesn't bother
me too bad.  I may try Sun ONE Studio again once they've got Netbeans
3.4 under it ... but the previous version (bundled with JDK 1.4) was an
absolute beast - and had many problems on my machine.

Regards,

Eddie