struts-user mailing list archives

From "Elderclei R Reami" <re...@vertisnet.com.br>
Subject RE: Java Server Faces and Developer Life Comments
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
Greg,

I started this thread about a week ago, because I was in need of sharing my experience, and
think we had a lot of
interesting comments pro and against .Net and J2EE.

My personal view: corporate developers need to deliver production code faster and faster.
In most occasions, these
codes are disposable, since they are just providing a short term solution. In such arena,
M$ is the master. That's why I
see many companies in Brazil, that still use Access & Excel based apps. Fast and easy.

Open source software has the advantage of providing plenty of choice, however productivity
is still not at its best level.
Fact: it's a lot more difficult to get productive in Struts/Java/MySQL, than in .Net/SQL Server.

Personally, I still need something that let me get home early to see my family during the
whole week :)
Java/J2EE/Struts tools are getting better, but VS.Net is still the better integrated environment.
I should mention here
that I'm for Open Source, not against :)

Cheers,
Elder

On Tue, 3 Sep 2002 10:11:16 -0500, <Greg.Reddin@alltel.com> escreveu :

> De: <Greg.Reddin@alltel.com>
> Data: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 10:11:16 -0500
> Para: <struts-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Assunto: RE: Java Server Faces and Developer Life Comments
>
> I guess this thread is mostly dead <g>, but I felt compelled to offer my
> 2c.
>
> I recently had to do an analysis of development software I'm using for
> my boss to ensure that our licenses are up to date and whatnot.  I was
> blown away by the fact that there's not a single piece of software
> critical to my development efforts that costs a dime.  All of the tools
> and platforms I'm using for development, with the exception of Windows
> 2000 and Office 2000 are free.  Even the OS and Office software could be
> free if I just took the time to switch.
>
> Granted our integration and deployment efforts are another story.  We
> have to keep multiple OS's and app servers maintained to ensure our
> deployment works, but when you think about some 100 - 150 developers
> using a minimum $1000 - $2000 worth of software apiece that can all be
> replaced with quality software that costs nothing -- that's a
> significant cost savings.
>
> Now, the other issue is the integrated "drag & drop" development that is
> offered by MS.  I personally wouldn't mind having that although it's not
> critical to me.  In fact there's nothing more frustrating than being
> forced into workarounds because your tool doesn't give you low-level
> access to code.  We used to do that crap in VB all the time.  I don't
> know if .NET fixes that.  The integrated thing seems more than possible
> for Java.  Somebody just needs to do it.
>
> For me, the power of choice and platform independence that is offered by
> J2EE is worth the extra development effort it takes.  In fact, I don't
> think we're expending any more effort with J2EE than we were with MS
> development a couple of years ago.
>
> Microsoft has always been good at taking someone else's idea and
> marketing it for themselves.  I think .NET is the next iteration of that
> taken from J2EE.  No doubt they'll be successful at it.  But I think and
> hope that the Java community is large enough and strong enough to keep
> them from dominating the market like they have in other areas.  If drag
> and drop, point and click integrated development is the only advantage
> they offer and it comes with the disadvantage of vendor lock-in, I'm
> certainly not going to switch for that...
>
> Greg
>

> --

Elderclei R Reami
Vertis Tecnologia