struts-user mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject Re: Struts Validation Framework
Date Thu, 01 Aug 2002 19:09:37 GMT
>I really like the foundation of the Validator framework but I don't
>see some basic features
>that I constantly require.

Hm.  Sounds like a golden opportunity for you to increase your
commitment to open source software?

Validator is part of the Commons project at Jakarta.  Odds are good
that the things you want added or changed should be in the core
validator project instead of the Struts layer which adapts validator
to the struts framework.

Check out the source code from CVS.  Make sure it builds in your
environment.  Make sure you can run all the unit tests successfully.
Then fix validator wherever you think it needs it.  If you think your
extensions will be useful to others, pos to the Apache Bug database
with a description of what you've done and a patch which a committer
can apply to the source tree.  (Of course, make sure that all of the
existing unit tests still pass, and write new unit tests covering
your new code if at all possible.)

If you aren't quite sure how to get where you want to go, or if you
think your changes are big enough to need some discussion, post a
message to the commons-dev mailing list.  Preface your message's
subject line with "[validator]" so that it can be distinguished from
other messages to the same list about other commons components.
(Remember that commons-dev is for issues in developing the software;
if your questions are more about how to use it, use the commons-user
mailing list.)

This may sound like a lot of work, but if you think about the time
you've saved already using Validator, maybe it's not so bad.  And if
you think about the time you'll save overall compared to writing a
validation framework from scratch, it's probably even better.

See:
Commons project homepage:
<http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/index.html>

commons-dev mailing list archive:
<http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/SummarizeList?listId=15>

commons-user mailing list archive:
<http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/SummarizeList?listId=105>

The Apache Bug Database:
<http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/>

Jakarta CVS Information:
<http://jakarta.apache.org/site/cvsindex.html>

* Joe Germuska    { joe@germuska.com }
"It's pitiful, sometimes, if they've got it bad. Their eyes get
glazed, they go white, their hands tremble.... As I watch them I
often feel that a dope peddler is a gentleman compared with the man
who sells records."
	--Sam Goody, 1956
tune in posse radio: <http://www.live365.com/stations/289268>