struts-user mailing list archives

From "Joe Barefoot" <Joe.Baref...@motiva.com>
Subject RE: Run out of Memeory
Date Tue, 27 Aug 2002 23:27:07 GMT
Considering that the JVM tries to grab ~40 MB of memory as soon as it initializes, I'm not
surprised.  If you run your Linux box without a windowing system (no KDE or Gnome), you might
be able to limp along with 64 MB.  I'd recommend doubling that amount though.

If you're running a windowing system, you might be able to survive on 128 but it will be painful
every time the JVM comes up--I'd recommend 256+.

b.t.w., no process ever dies 'silently' in Linux.  First, the JVM will issue out-of-memory
errors if it runs out of space in the heap and can get no more memory from the OS.  Second,
you can get a thread dump in Linux from any console, I believe the command is "Ctrl - \" (control
and backslash keys at same time) -- this should tell you if an out-of-memory error terminated
the application.  Finally, you can use the Linux command 'top' to see how much memory an app.
is grabbing while its running.  Their are numerous other text-based and GUI tools for doing
the same in Linux, search the web.  Note that any of these tools will also consume memory,
the ol' Heisenberg principle manifesting itself. :)

hope this helps,

Joe Barefoot