struts-user mailing list archives

From "Joe Barefoot" <Joe.Baref...@motiva.com>
Subject RE: Result paging for site search results
Date Tue, 27 Aug 2002 18:02:59 GMT
Simon,

I'm not sure if you are handling very large ResultSets and need database-aware paging (i.e.,
user clicks "next", and the next 25 results are fetched from DB, vs. having them all in a
Collection that you are "paging" through in-memory).  If you aren't handling very large volumes,
I suggest you check out the very savvy display taglib (link below).  If you may be handling
large volumes in the future (but not right now), it can easily be replaced later with a custom
paging implementation.  It works well in conjunction with Struts; basically, you just stuff
your Collection into the request, and the tag uses Struts-like syntax plus the commons utilities
to access properties of the objects in your collection.  Sorting and paging are supported
(and style classes), and you can add dynamic output to table rows using a TableDecorator class
that uses the Decorator pattern to 'massage' data from your Collection objects.  Very simple,
and very well documented w/ examples, JSP source, etc.

http://edhill.its.uiowa.edu/display/

peace,
Joe