struts-user mailing list archives

From "Adolfo Miguelez" <pell...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Hibernate recommendation
Date Tue, 27 Aug 2002 09:32:23 GMT

I have already tested, not very deeply, Torque and Hibernate.

In Torque there are tools for generating the SQLs for the database:

*Torque uses a single XML database schema to generate the SQL for your
*target database and Torque's Peer-based object relation model *representing
your XML database schema. Additionally, an HTML document *describing the
database can be generated if you wish to make a *browseable version of the
database schema.

(from http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/torque/index.html)

and Hibernate does the same by providing also a tool:

*>It should be able to generate the persistent classes dinamically,I
*>mean for itself, rather than needing that the developer build the
*>classes for the specific data model.

*You mean generate Java classes from database schema?

*As yet, Hibernate can't do that. However, Hibernate _does_
*have a tool to generate Java classes from O/R mappings
*(And vice-versa, mappings from Java classes.)

from http://www.theserverside.com/home/thread.jsp?thread_id=14314.

The problem is that both needs compilation of the ganerated java classes.
But none of the frameworks that I have checked allows to connect ANY schema
of ANY database and deal with the classes for itself. By example, to display
a generic front end based on a O/R mapping tool.

Sorry because is an off topic. Maybe is a too particular situation.

Regards,

Adolfo.

<HTML>
      <HEAD>