struts-user mailing list archives

From Jason Rosen <JRo...@yvimail.com>
Subject RE: Help me shake the cobwebs out... (also http://www.computer-programmer.org/articles/struts/ is back up)
Date Fri, 30 Aug 2002 22:17:24 GMT
I created a Plug-in to initialize a connection to a proprietary Data Access
layer for a CRM package I have to use.  On initialization, my Plug-in just
creates a connection to my datasource (using the CRM package's Java API) and
stashes a reference to the connection in the ServletContext.  Then I have a
BaseAction class that retrieves the reference and makes it available to all
Actions that subclass the BaseAction.  When my app is shut down, the Plug-in
ensures there are no more transactions for the connection, and destroys the
connection when all transactions are finished.

Worked out pretty well - gives me the ability to have connection pooling for
all my Actions using the CRM proprietary Data Access APIs.

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig Tataryn [mailto:craiger316@hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, August 30, 2002 2:02 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Help me shake the cobwebs out... (also
http://www.computer-programmer.org/articles/struts/ is back up)

That's ok Joe, I understand.

The one thing I do when I subscribe to a mail group is say to myself "Am I
here to help myself or to help others?"  Nine times out of ten it ends up
being both.  If I respond to someone's query I only do so if I legitimately
have something to contribute, I never respond if it is going to be
condesending.  When I dedicate myself to helping a mailing list, I answer
people's questions in hopes that they may one day answer some of mine.  Yes,
I should have queried the manuals closer, my bad.  Remember sarcasim should
be left for Usenet :)  If I respond with an RTFM type post, I usually
provide a link to the document I wish the user to read, or atleast a quote.
I know some people abuse this level of help, but on a whole it helps the
group.

In my RTFM'ing I understand the concept behind Dynaforms, but was wondering
if someone could provide an example?

And Plugins, still not clear on how/when I would use such a thing.  Is there
a specific example someone has at the top of their head?

Thanks,

Craig.