struts-user mailing list archives

From Ashish Kulkarni <kulkarni_ash1...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Re[4]: Struts and Large ResultSet
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2002 20:46:53 GMT

Hi,
At present i am using cachedrowset to do so, but what i do is get all the data in resultset,
then populate the cachedrowset and then keep it in user session, as long as he is on that
page, and then use to scroll throught different pages , when the user goes to other page i
clear the session
this works really fine for few thousand records..and i really dont intend to change it, but
i am concerned is ablut million records...
Ashish
 Jacob Hookom wrote:You might want to look at RowSets under JDK1.4, a lot of people use them
for this exact reason. Search java.sun.com for "CachedRowSet"

also
| i cannot get the keys and keel them in session as at some time the
item
| may be deleted from main database and then i will have to check for
the
| conditions when loading data,
| My database is as400 which does not allow row count etc available in
| oracle and sybase, has anyone used apache torque, i guess it helps
| inhandling this type of problems, also i am studying the j2ee pattern.
| And beleive me people for whom i am developing software go through
| millions of records in a day..
| Ashish
| Rick Reumann wrote:On Thursday, August 22, 2002, 3:36:38 PM, Jacob
wrote:

| JH> Or if you have the ability to set max rows returned on the query,
| JH> just set a single break point with a page counter and the next
| JH> button would just select the next 20 where id > last viewed in a
| JH> sorted order that is consistent throughout your search results.
|
| Beautiful! Thanks. Now why I didn't I think of that:)...( ummm
| 'cause you're a dumbass:)
|
| Just curious, how big is 'too big' of a collection to store in
| request and/or session scope? I love the functionality of this
| display tag http://edhill.its.uiowa.edu/display/ but if I happen
| to be dealing with huge(?) lists this might not be an option any
| more and I'm going to go with the idea you've suggested.
|
| Thanks again.
|
| --
|
| Rick
| mailto:maillist@reumann.net