struts-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Tomcat/Struts - DB Conn Pooling
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2002 03:39:14 GMT

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, neal wrote:

> Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 14:24:24 -0700
> From: neal <nealcabage@yahoo.com>
> Subject: RE: Tomcat/Struts - DB Conn Pooling
>
> So, you find the Struts connection pooling to be a little limited?  What
> would you say is the limitation on Struts conn pool?  Is caching the only
> significant limitation or are there others?

Caching of what?  Prepared statements?

In 1.1b2, the Struts connection pool class is a wrapper around the
commons-dbcp connection pool.  I'm pretty sure that caching of prepared
statements is already supported -- if it's not now, but is supported by a
future version of commons-dbcp, then it will be easy to swap in the new
JAR later.

FYI, commons-dbcp is also the implementation that Tomcat 4.1 uses for
connection pooling (4.0 used Tyrex, but that causes unending amounts of
grief for many users).

> It sounds like you're saying you prefer Poolman, when possible.  Would you
> say your sentiment is pretty typical of most other users out there?

If your app server supports built in connection pooling via JNDI resources
(which will be the case for any J2EE server), I'd recommend using it --
the odds are much higher that the platform vendor has focused on
optimizing the pool's behavior within that server than just plugging in
something generic.

> Thanks!
> Neal

Craig