struts-user mailing list archives

From "Kenneth Stout" <kenneth.st...@attbi.com>
Subject Re: Struts Community is going crazy! :-))
Date Sun, 18 Aug 2002 17:30:07 GMT
Brandon,

I agree with your cry for better "suggested" patterns. I've been working
with struts for less than six months and looking for patterns has been a
constant endeavor. I have 8-inches of printed documents plus several
megabytes of disc space dedicated to everything that I've been able to get
my hands on. This search is made more difficult as struts moves from version
1.0 to 1.1. (Don't get me wrong. I think the new features being added in 1.1
are absolutely fantastic!) However, what I have found in my search are
examples for either trivial (test) environments, or major project
environments. The former are good for testing some feature and the later is
considerable overkill for the projects that I typically deal with.

As I look back, I think my learning curve would have been shortened
considerably if we had a library of patterns for small, medium, and large
projects at both the 1.0 and 1.1 levels.

As to your final point about struts being bulky with all of the included
extensions. To this I would have to disagree. I really like the idea that
some of the more common extension are included with new releases. This makes
it much easier to update to a newer version of struts. I don't have to run
around and collect them or wait for them to become compliant with the newer
version of struts. On the other hand if I don't want to use them I simply
don't move the jar's or configuration files into my new projects folders.
The building block approach really allows you to minimize struts to only
what you need. That's not something that you can say about some of the
alternatives to struts.

To the struts community: keep up the good work. There are a number of very
talented programmers working on struts and with struts. And it shows!

Kenneth.