struts-user mailing list archives

From wbchm...@Ensign-BickfordInd.com
Subject RE: using O/R mapping tools
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2002 18:54:11 GMT

Hmmmm.

I just could not stomach it so I did some checkng...

Read this one first...
Common sense warns that there is no advantage to using a word correctly
if you know that the vast majority of your hearers will misunderstand
your meaning. Consider the terms "thumbs up" and "thumbs down": Most
people are aware that these expressions derive from the ancient public
entertainments at the Roman Colosseum, where the presiding official
would rule on whether a vanquished gladiator should be spared or slain.
But did you know that "thumbs up" was the sign for "kill him" and thumb
sideways was the sign for "let him live"? So when someone tells you that
your project got the thumbs up from upper management, should you start
checking the help-wanted ads? We
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/library/Grammar/Learn-curve.html

Every result except for the above shows a steep learning curve as a bad
thing...  Right or wrong, its common usage...

I want to go home...

STEEP LEARNING CURVE
Rookie Quarterback Zolman Tackles Complicated Scheme
Things aren't entirely different. That's the positive part now for Greg
Zolman - part of the positive part, anyway. Here's the tricky part: What
he's learning is very complicated.
http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=711

BUSH IS ON A STEEP LEARNING CURVE, JUST LIKE THE REST OF US
George W Bush appears to be on a near-vertical global learning curve.
And it is not just him. In the past two weeks the world has been
changing astonishingly quickly beneath our feet and commentators are
running to keep up.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,5673,558293,00.html

Myth: ODBMSs have a steep learning curve
The myth that ODBMSs have a steep learning curve is easily dispelled.
Using an ODBMS primarily involves knowing an object programming
language. For examples, see transparent persistence (new window).
If you know Java or C++, there is very little additional syntax that you
need to learn in order to use an ODBMS. There are additional database
commands for opening and closing databases along with starting and
committing transactions. But that is about all -- hardly a steep
learning curve. If you do not know Java or C++, there is learning
involved. That learning, however, involves mastering the programming
language and not the ODBMS.
http://www.odbmsfacts.com/articles/myth_odbms_have_a_steep_learning_curve.html

Steep learning curve
First-time users of Finale can expect to invest weeks or even months
learning how to drive this thing. And, unlike a bicycle, you can easily
forget how to do it if away from it for a while.
Finale is complicated, powerful, and often non-intuitive in its design,
although ease of use improves perceptibly with each release. Coda seems
to listen to its customers on questions of interface and features.
http://www.research.umbc.edu/eol/5/signell/steep.html