struts-user mailing list archives

From "Rahul Kumar Saxena" <rahul.sax...@wipro.com>
Subject RE: (newbie) using JAR files vs. explicit package classes
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2002 13:44:38 GMT
Hi Glen,

This convention is followed to identify the third party or external jars
from the ones, which you had developed for your application - project.
This gives clear picture of external resources being used in the
project. There is absolutely no probs in putting all files in a single
jar, as long as it is in classpath. Only thing is that it will be
difficult to identify what you have developed.

Rahul.

-----Original Message-----
From: Glen Mazza [mailto:glenmazza@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, July 01, 2002 7:00 PM
To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: (newbie) using JAR files vs. explicit package classes

Hello,

I'm looking at how the example .WAR applications
supplied by Struts 1.1 Beta release are expanded by
Tomcat.

Common/Shared packages, such as "struts.jar", "commons-digester.jar",
etc. are kept unexpanded in
the web-inf\lib directory.   However, classes specific
to the application were expanded into separate
directories:  e.g.,
\classes\org\apache\struts\webapp\example\memory\MemoryUser.class,
MemoryUserDatabase.class, etc.

I'm trying to understand the reasons behind this
deployment convention--What are the benefits of
splitting out application-specific projects/classes
into separate directories and .class files when
deploying?  (i.e., Can't they be more cleanly stored
together in a JAR file like struts.jar, etc. is?)

Thanks,
Glen