struts-user mailing list archives

From "Andrew Hill" <andrew.david.h...@gridnode.com>
Subject RE: Java Website ISP
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2002 15:07:27 GMT
Hehe.
If there are only 70 in the states, then theres probably only another 7 out
here in the rest of the world.

-----Original Message-----
From: Galbreath, Mark [mailto:Galbreath@tessco.com]
Sent: Friday, June 07, 2002 22:26
To: Struts (E-mail); Servlets (E-mail); J2ee (E-mail)
Subject: Java Website ISP

I fired my ISP yesterday for refusing to support server-side Java and am now
actively looking at alternatives.  I was surprised to find that there are
only about 70 ISPs in the US supporting server-side Java.  The good news is
that most use Tomcat 3.2 on Apache and support JDK 1.3.1, Servlet 2.2 and
JSP 1.1 with access to MySQL, and all that I have contacted are planning to
upgrade to Tomcat 4.0x, JDK 1.4, Servlet 2.3 and JSP 1.2 within the next 8
weeks.  One (SpinWeb.com) even will let you upload your own versions of
Tomcat and JDK.  The bad news is prices range from $350/year to $750 and I
have no qualitative anecdotes regarding the level of service any provide.

If anyone has first-hand knowledge of same, I'd appreciate the information.
I want to make a decision in the next couple of hours so I can (hopefully)
get the new DNS IPs propagated by tomorrow night.

Thanks,
Mark