struts-user mailing list archives

From "Vikram Goyal01" <vikram_goya...@infosys.com>
Subject RE: FOP/PDF Questiosn
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2002 14:58:57 GMT
1. return null;
2. action="runReport?dummy=.pdf" will work. However, you need to within your action class,
write to the output stream, your generated pdf.

HTH
Vikram

-----Original Message-----
From: mike.witt@honeywell.com [mailto:mike.witt@honeywell.com]
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2002 8:03 PM
To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: FOP/PDF Questiosn

I have 2 questions regarding the use of FOP to output PDF in a struts
application.

1) I am using the response object to send the pdf to the browser.  Struts
doesn't like this too much because it would also like to send something to
the browser so I get an exception.  Is there a way within a perform method
to not return something to forward to?  Am I handling this the proper way or
should I be looking at a servlet that is not a Struts action to do this
processing?

2) I've seen comments on the FOP site to include something like:
"?dummy=.pdf" on the URL to force the browser, particularly IE, in to
recognizing this as a pdf format file.  If I'm forwarding from my action in
order to run the report (submitting a form), how do I get a parameter on to
the URL at that point?  I don't think that I can simply put
'action="runReport?dummy=.pdf"', but what else can I do?

TIA,

Mike