struts-user mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Use of tags
Date Tue, 19 Mar 2002 16:35:20 GMT
There is not going to an easy answer to any question regarding
performance, since there are real differences between how the different
JVMs containers behave.

But custom tags versus scriplets as a standalone issue is going to have
a very small impact on overall performance.

In general, using a Model 2 architecture, and doing more of the work
outside of JavaServer Pages has a very positive effect on an
application's performance. Doing what's left in custom tags is not a
difference that will make a difference.

For more on these issues, I would recommend the JSP-Interest newsgroup
and the ServerSide forums.

http://www.theserverside.com/

-- Ted Husted, Husted dot Com, Fairport NY US
-- Developing Java Web Applications with Struts
-- Tel: +1 585 737-3463
-- Web: http://husted.com/about/services

Vikram Goyal01 wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is using Stuts tags (for that matter using any tags) a performance hit?
> The reason I ask this is because of the fact that for even normal tags which are defined
by the HTML specs, we replace them with Stuts tags. For e.g. <HTML> is replaced by <HTML:HTML>.
Isnt this an overkill and a performance problem as this simple tag also has to get compiled
and loaded, when the browser could handle it on its own?