struts-user mailing list archives

From "Couball, James" <James.Coub...@cotelligent.com>
Subject Extending Struts (was: Boost Struts with XSLT and XML - JavaWorld .com)
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2002 19:12:44 GMT
I have been lurking for a couple of months now and have seen many useful
extensions to the Struts framework.  I am curious to understand what thought
has gone into better understand how Struts can be extended in common ways
such that:

(1) Extensions are an add-on/plug-in rather than a rewrite of the Struts
classes.

And

(2) non-overlapping extensions are compatible.  For example, wouldn't expect
Velocity and XSLT extensions to work together but might expect different
classes of extensions to work together.

Can the types of extensions be classified?  For example, the XSLT extension
talked about in the JavaWorld article could be a "View" extension.

Should the framework be separated out into "core" and "extension" pieces?
For example, maybe the custom taglibs should be considered part of the JSP
Extension.  And the JSP Extension considered a "View" extension that follows
certain rules that other View extensions (such as Velocity and XSLT) must
follow.

Thank you,
James.