struts-user mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Boost Struts with XSLT and XML - JavaWorld.com
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2002 22:59:14 GMT
Jeff Schnitzer wrote:
> I'm not just writing this to publicize a competing framework
> (http://mav.sourceforge.net :-).  I am beginning to wonder if maybe
> there is some potential to merge it with the Struts codebase.  It sounds
> like Struts is being decoupled from JSP and generally moving in the
> direction of a view-agnostic MVC framework.  If a year ago I had
> suggested making changes to the Struts config file format to accommodate
> XSL, I think I would have been booed, but I'm not so sure anymore.  Any
> thoughts?

I think we are all onboard with view agnosticism now.

Though, the Struts config file will accomodate any URI, and does not
prefer JSPs in anyway whatsoever.

Personally, I'm liking the model we're seeing in X2 and VelServlet,
where other "helper" servlets are loaded to handle whatever presentation
devices someone might use.

I think what we are moving towards is exposing the Struts controller API
as a standard object in the request that will be easy to use with any
helper servlet or presentation system, including JSTL when it ships.

Does this jive with where Maverick is going?

The ActionMapping object is pluggable. Would extending that provide the
support you need in the config to assist with the transformations?

-- Java Web Development with Struts.
-- Tel +1 585 737-3463.
-- Web http://www.husted.com/struts/