struts-user mailing list archives

From "Rubens Gama" <rub...@softsite.com.br>
Subject RES: handling exceptions
Date Mon, 28 Jan 2002 13:02:14 GMT
Thanks.
I want to know if your framework of handling exception will be opensource,
like struts.

-----Mensagem original-----
De: Chuck Cavaness [mailto:chuckcavaness@mediaone.net]
Enviada em: segunda-feira, 28 de janeiro de 2002 10:27
Para: Struts Users Mailing List
Assunto: Re: handling exceptions

We've developed a pretty eloborate exception handling framework on my
current project. We're using EJB on the backend, so
we must also deal with remote type exceptions. First we catorgize
exceptions into those that the user can recover from and those that they
can't. Sort of like fatal and non-fatal. You also need to divide exceptions
into system and application exceptions. System exceptions are ones like
remote exception, or maybe some type of datastore exception. Application
exceptions for us are ones like required fields were missing or duplicate
values for a unique column. In our world, the same exception framework has
to work for ERP systems, so it's not just the web container.

Anyway, for those exceptions that the user can recover from like "required
fields missing", we catch those type of exceptions, create an ActionError
with a message from the bundle specifically for that exception, and then
forward back to the input page. This gives the user a chance to fix the
problem and resubmit. For the more severe exceptions, we also catch those
and forward to a "system-error" type page since there's probably nothing
you can do about it anyway. We use an abstract base action that all of our
actions extend. We have all of this behavior in the base action and none of
the action classes have to worry about catching these exceptions. The
abstract base action implements the perform and has an abstract doWork type
method. The doWork method is wrapped with the try catch blocks. Each
concreate action class implements the doWork and doesn't have to worry
about the try catch.

I hope that gives you some ideas.

chuck

p.s. Regarding your other post about using System.out in your action
classes; I wouldn't recommend that approach. Use log4j instead. That way,
you can shut off the debug logging externally by just editing the
log4j.properties file.

At 09:50 AM 1/28/2002 -0200, you wrote:
>Could somebody help me ?
>
>I have to many problems with handling exception of the Struts.
>what do you suggest to handling exception of the deployment applications?
>
>--
For additional commands, e-mail: