struts-user mailing list archives

From "John M. Corro" <john.co...@cornerstone.net>
Subject Non-Struts Related JS Question
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2002 14:31:27 GMT
Does anyone know how to call a javascript function from an html link w/o causing the parent
page to reload, but still having the cursor change to a pointing finger when it goes over
the link?

I'm trying to implement the following basic situation....user clicks on a link, a child window
pops up w/ a listing of widgets, user clicks on a widget, and a value is passed back to the
parent page.  I've been able to get everything working (popup window, widget listing, return
value, etc) w/ an anchor tag like this...
<a onclick="openWidgetWindow()">Click here to see a listing of Widgets</a>

However, one thing w/ this is that the mouse cursor doesn't change to a pointing finger when
it goes over the link because I don't have the href attribute set.  I can manipulate the stylesheet
settings so that it "looks" like a regular link (underline, same color as all links), but
the cursor never changes to a pointing finger to indicate to the user that it's just a plain
old link to click on.  When I try putting in the href attribute, the page tries to reload
(don't want that happening).  I've tried a variety of dummy values for the href (pound sign
'#', blank, etc), but every value I've tried seems to make the page reload.