struts-user mailing list archives

From Balasubrahmanyam Pasumarthy <bpasu...@cisco.com>
Subject Re: Making a connection to the client
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2001 16:01:02 GMT
I think there is one way where you can cater your needs.

Running Ftp Server on the client!!. Yes you can ask your client to download
a reliable ftp server.(either you provide it, one available is warftd in
market as freeware)

Then guide the user to configure as mentioned by you. Then through
application ask him to provide the password he put for this ftpserver.

Your application using the remote user (make sure this should be user name
for the ftp server too), and using the password provided by him connect
to the ftp server and fetch all the files in the directory it was given access.

Hope this sounds little funny but we have implemented in one of our
applications and been successful in it.

Of course there is second one, universally known, is thru Applets, and
everybody knows what Applets needs? etc

All the best and thanks,

Balu

At 10:49 AM 11/5/01 -0500, you wrote:
>This is not totally a struts related question, but I figured there might
>be someone out there who would know.
>
>How can I make a connection to a client through a browser and read files
>off of there computer?
>This would be used in a intranet environment at first but could be
>expanded to the internet so that employees at home could use the app.
>Any ideas or directions to some thing that might help me get started would
>be great!!
>
>Thanks Cameron Ingram
>

>--

Balasubrahmanyam Pasumarthy