struts-user mailing list archives

From Alexander Jesse <alexander.je...@csfs.com>
Subject RE: Large form performance...
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2001 09:18:39 GMT
Hi,

IE is faster if you use tables. With NS you can help performance by predefining

watch out for memory-hogging when using the <%@ page buffer="80kb"> statement.
We once had an app crashing the vm because the used this statement and had a big load.
The jsp-mechanism allocates a buffer twice as big as the one you specify, now multiply
this number by the number of concurrent requests...

regards
Alexander

-----Original Message-----
From: George.Papandreou@psc-cfp.gc.ca
[mailto:George.Papandreou@psc-cfp.gc.ca]
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 3:59 PM
To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: Large form performance...

Greetings,
   well i am facing the same issues as you, although my form, classes and all are slightly
larger than yours.  I am running on a 600MHz/256RAm for development and a fairly fast HP server
with Weblogic 6.1 for deployment.

The truth is, have you tried running your app on Internet Explorer (5.5)?  There is a day
and night difference!!!  My 18 seconds display time on Netscape gets reduced to a blink of
an eye on IE.  There is not much difference when running my app on either platform with NetscaPE
(4.7).  IE has been touted for having a strong caching mechanism.

So for me, clearly the browser is the bottleneck.  My (large) page invocations involve db
access, validation, the full nine yards.

I tried using <%@ page buffer="80kb"> with no perf improvement on the PC.

Regards.

>>> jnikolai@is2inc.com 11/09/01 04:48pm >>>

Hello all!

I have a web form with 16 <html:xxxx /> tags, all wrapped up in an
java class created by jasper is ~280k while the compiled class is ~56k. The
first time someone hits the page it's slow to render while jasper compiles
the code (~2 minutes). BUT the page is still slow to render even after the
initial compilation (~50 seconds).

The form works fine using ActionForm and Action subclasses but it's just...
well... slow. =)

We are using struts template tags as well as several other internal tags that
we developed. We are also using the Struts nightly build as we wanted to take
advantage of the <html:messages /> tag. We also have a much smaller form with
only 3 <html:xxxx /> tags, that page renders quickly (probably for obvious
reasons).

Is it worth our time going back to the released 1.0 version of struts to see
if this problem goes away?
Any ideas how to solve this problem?
Is this a jsp performance problem?
A tomcat problem?