struts-user mailing list archives

From Alexander Jesse <alexander.je...@csfs.com>
Subject RE: David Winterfeldt's Validator Framework + Jbuilder 5.0 + Tomc at 3.2.1
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2001 08:55:42 GMT
Hi,

we are using the following setup and have no problem whatsoever with it.

1. We are not using WEBRUN. we definied a special run-configuration that
   executes Tomcat. This allows also to set the home-dir of tomcat to
   a jb-project internal directory.
2. We have no nostrutstomcat32.jar (none of the opentools...)

setup (on a NT-box)
(always replace <xxx> with defined values...)

jb-root: c:\apps\JBuilder5 (tomcat underneath)
project-root: C:\data\jbproject\<projectname>
under the project-root there is the following setup:
(1)  <project-root>\src
(2)  <project-root>\classes
(3)  <project-root>\conf
(4)  <project-root>\webapps
(5)  <project-root>\webapps\<context_name>\
(6)  <project-root>\webapps\<context_name>\WEB-INF

(1) and (2) are JB-standard (source- and class-tree)
(3) contains tomcat's configuration files (server.xml,...) copy over from
    <jb-root>\jakarta-tomcat-3.2.1\conf to start
(4) houses all webapps for this project (normally just one!)
(5) is the webapp-root for this project (meaning standard from here down)
(6) struts-config.xml, tld's and all the rest...

In the project there is a runtime-configuration as follows:
<Application><Main class>org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat
<Application><VM parameters>-Dtomcat.home=<jb-root>/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.1
-Xmx32m -Xms16m
<Application><Application parameters>-f <project-root>/conf/server.xml

Basically this starts a separate Tomcat-VM telling tomcat to search its config in
our project-dirs. In tomcat's server.xml check out the following settings:
<ContextManager debug="0" workDir="some_path_to_a_workdir" home="/data/jbproject/<projectname>"
showDebugInfo="true" >
<Context path="" docBase="webapps" debug="0" reloadable="true" ></Context>

The only drawback is more problems debugging the jsp-stuff, ut we can live with it...

In the project-definitions just define a library containing pointers to all
necessary jar-files (struts.jar, validation-jar, and all the rest). JB will construct
a classpath for tomcat containing all library-addressed jar-files plus the
<project-root>\classes directory. Definitions are read whenever you start
this run-configuration (dropdown-list in menubar; not the small button under the
message-window.

hope this helps
Alexander