struts-user mailing list archives

From Alan Wright <AtheneSyst...@btinternet.com>
Subject Where does html:text tag get its data
Date Sun, 14 Oct 2001 16:22:25 GMT
Hi

I am just starting to use struts and would appreciate some help
understanding where html:text tags in a jsp page get their data.

>From the documentation I believed it would use the getter of the action
form matching the property in the tag.

the following is in my struts-config

    <!-- Edit User Profile -->
    <action    path="/editUserProfile"
               type="com.athene.freeminder.EditUserProfileAction"
               name="userProfileForm"
              scope="request"
           validate="false">
      <forward name="failure"              path="/edituserprofile.jsp"/>

      <forward name="success"              path="/edituserprofile.jsp"/>

    </action>

when I run this action the data is retrieved directly from a getter in a
class called UserProfileBean which is my database access layer instead
of from the userProfileForm getter.  I have not configured struts to
know about UserProfileBean so how does it find it?

I thought it might be because 2 classes in the same package had the same
getter but when I hid the getter in UserProfileBean struts complained
that it could not find the getter I was testing, evon though the getter
of the same name in UserProfileForm was present and public.

Is struts using some sort of rigid naming convention - if so where is it
documented?

TIA

Alan Wright