struts-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: processPopulate() call configurable?
Date Sun, 05 Aug 2001 21:32:41 GMT

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Kapila, Ranjit wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the ActionServlet.process() method, the processPopulate() method is
> always called. Is there any way to set some request attribute etc so
> that the processPopulate call is configurable.

If you don't want processPopulate() to be called, just omit the form bean
from your <action> element.

> The underlying problem is that if I prefill my form, all the values are
> overwritten by the Request objects current parameter values.
>
> I this something that other people have run into? Any work around?

If your case is what I'm thinking it is, you probably want to consider
using different actions for prepopulating (and then displaying) a form,
versus accepting (and processing) the form submit.

Consider in the struts-example application what happens when you select
the "Edit your registration profile" option from the main menu:

* This link goes to the "/editRegistration" action, which
* Prepopulates the form bean, and
* Forwards to the "/registration.jsp" page to display it with
  values from the "database".
* Then, the form is submitted to the "/saveRegistration" action,
  which validates the input (returning on any errors) or does
  the appropriate database action.

> Thanks,
>
> Ranjit

Craig