struts-user mailing list archives

From "Christian Cryder" <christi...@enhydra.org>
Subject RE: Barracuda vs. Struts (request for review)
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2001 19:28:07 GMT
Hi Chris,

Yeah, upon re-reading I definitely can see your point. Certainly not my
intention to demean anyone. And, upon further reflection, I probably need to
qualify my statements about Struts' target audience as well...let's see if
you find this any better:

--------------
The Barracuda Presentation framework is built as a series of layers that
depend on the Servlet 2.2+ API, each of which can be used independently of
one another. In terms of audience, Barracuda definitely aims at the Java
Developer end of the spectrum (with the idea that tools integration will
ultimately make the approach more accessible to Page Author types).

...<snip>...

Unlike Barracuda, Struts is aimed primarily at the Page Author types. This
is not to say that Struts does not require Java coding--after all, you still
need developer types to implement Tag libraries and write Controller code.
Rather it aims to suggest that it is Page Authors who will get the most
mileage from the framework; if you do not adopt a JSP strategy for rendering
views, the value of Struts is greatly diminished.
--------------

Does this help at all? Or am I just making everyone mad?

I'm not trying to demean Struts or Page Authors here, but rather to
illustrate a subtle-yet-significant (in my mind at least). It seems to me
that Struts doesn't offer a whole lot for those who don't want to go the JSP
route. This seems to be evidenced by the fact (at least in my perception)
that there are not many people using Struts who are not ALSO using JSPs.

This is not necessarily a bad thing, after all, the converse is equally
true--Barracuda doesn't offer much if you ARE committed to JSPs. I'm just
trying to explain why I feel that Struts is more oriented towards page
author types.

Christian
Christian Cryder [christianc@enhydra.org]
Barracuda - MVC Component Framework for Webapps
http://barracuda.enhydra.org
        "What a great time to be a Geek"

s_struts.h
tml

While I've tried to keep the document fair and even-handed, it's quite
possible that I've not given Struts a fair shake (since I don't know Struts
that well after all). At any rate, I wanted to give you Struts experts a
chance to review the document and correct any misunderstandings I might
have. If you think I've really botched something, please let me know and
I'll try to make it better. My goal here is to represent both frameworks as
accurately as possible.

Thanks much,