struts-user mailing list archives

From "Greg Murphy" <gregory_mur...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Struts & UML ....
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
MVC is an architecture that existed before Struts and will exist long after
it.  It is exactly the same architecture that you have seen in UML, it just
uses a different syntax.  It is very high level and only deals in concepts.

MVC - UML:
Model - Data Layer
View  - Presentation Layer
Controller - Business Layer

Java uses the MVC in it's design of Swing UI components:
Model - Component class
View  - LookAndFeel class
Controller - UI Manager class + event handling

In a J2EE app the MVC is implemented with these sets of objects:
Model - Entity EJBs
View  - JSPs/Applets/Client Apps
Controller - Session EJBs
http://java.sun.com/j2ee/blueprints/design_patterns/model_view_controller/index.html

And in Struts a Servlet 2.2/JSP1.1 app with:
Model - JavaBeans
View - JSP
Controller - Action classes

So if you know the 3 UML layers you already know what MVC is about, it's
just a matter of leveraging that knowledge into the Struts framework.