struts-user mailing list archives

From "Assenza, Chris" <casse...@Accessdc.com>
Subject RE: looking for success stories
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2001 20:25:32 GMT
Eek, I gave you a bad link for Ted Husted's site, the correct one is:
http://www.husted.com/about/struts/

Chris

Christopher Assenza
Phone:	412.201.6026
Fax:     412.201.6060
Email:	cassenza@accessdc.com
ACCESSDATA
Moving Your Business from Point A to Point e.SM
http://www.accessdc.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: Assenza, Chris [mailto:cassenza@Accessdc.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2001 4:16 PM
To: 'struts-user@jakarta.apache.org'
Subject: RE: looking for success stories

Eric,

I can't really give you a success story yet, our first Struts application
isn't complete and I'd say we did some things wrong and did some things
right along the way - but overall things are going very well and Struts has
been very useful.

Just hang around here for a bit and you'll get some good pointers.  Others
on the list have posted some excellent design patterns, success stories and
lessons learned as I'm sure they'll share.  :)  Check out
http://husted.com/struts for some good resources.

As for WebSphere, I can vouch for it with both 3.5.3 and 4.0.  There are a
few things to be aware of prior to moving forward.  First and foremost -
both WAS 3.5.x and 4.0 are using versions of Jasper that are slightly behind
the latest spec; unfortunately, Struts makes use of the parts of the spec
wherein WAS is lacking.  A very simple change has been made to the Form
taglib that will allow Struts 1.0 to work in a WAS environment.  It can be
downloaded at: http://www.enfused.com/struts.jar

Second, in 3.5.3 deployment requires some extra steps and some tweaking. A
list of the special steps can be found:
http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/installation-was352-x.html

As for 4.0, deployment is pretty straight forward.  The Application Assembly
tool is the nicest and most usable J2EE deployment tool I've seen to date
and will get the job done just fine.  The fact that 4.0 is J2EE compliant
helps a lot too - finally we can use EAR's and WAR's properly. :)

Hope that helps,