struts-user mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Taglibs decrease the separation between designer and developer?
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2001 20:58:10 GMT
Bill Clinton wrote:
>     The line between designer and developer is a blurry one and differs
> in most organizations.  But in my last few postions, my experience has
> been that HTML proficiency is no longer a given for web designers.
> Macromedia Dreamweaver seems to be the tool of choice for most designers
> these days, and HTML skills seems to take a back seat to skills in
> Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver, gif animation, etc.

And here lies the rub:

As GUI JSP Tag extensions like

< http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/doc/ultradev4-doc/intro.html >

come of age, the Struts tags, and other libraries, start to plug right
into the WYSIWYG environment. Programming a custom tag then becomes no
different for a designer than programming an ordinary HTML tag.

If someone hasn't taken DreamWeaver UltraDev for a test-drive, you
should treat yourself. It's a real eye opener as to what can happen when
all this comes together.

I like to think of Struts as having been designed "twenty minutes into
the future". It's not only a framework for where we are, it's a
framework for where we are going ;-)

-Ted.