struts-user mailing list archives

From Bill Clinton <bclin...@snipermail.com>
Subject Re: Taglibs decrease the separation between designer and develope r?
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2001 19:55:07 GMT
Kusch, John wrote:

> me, that's a pretty clear separation between "development" and "design".  If
> you argue that it's a waste of time to teach a designer the Struts taglibs,
> I think it's fair to ask whether designers should even bother learning HMTL.

John,
    The line between designer and developer is a blurry one and differs
in most organizations.  But in my last few postions, my experience has
been that HTML proficiency is no longer a given for web designers.
Macromedia Dreamweaver seems to be the tool of choice for most designers
these days, and HTML skills seems to take a back seat to skills in
Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver, gif animation, etc.
    As someone who used notepad as my first HTML editor, this is not
something that I am thrilled with, but it seems to be fairly common.
Sure, its a pain in the ass to me, especially all that junk html that
gets inserted by WYSIWYG editors, but I'd rather have a good artist with
no scripting skills making great looking designs than a great
html/javscript guy with mediocre artistic talent.
    So, I guess you are right: it is fair to argue whether designers
should even bother learning html.

Bill