struts-user mailing list archives

From Rodney Smith <rodn...@gmx.net>
Subject RE: Re: Struts ActionServlet
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2001 12:52:23 GMT
Hi Ted,

Thanks for the fast and perfect answers to my questions that does seem to
fill a few of the caps in my understanding of Struts. I need to just confirm
with you just one thing. Could you define the container for me please, is that
e.g.DB2 MDB EJB??? and that passes onto the Actionservlet
controller.ActionServlet Controller then delegates to the specific source that is specified
in
the strutsconfig.xml --- e.g. Global Forwarding and or Action Mapping?

I thought that all request from the user had to go through the ActionSevlet
and that delegates the request to a JavaBean. The Java Bean collects teh
needed data to satisfy the request, by making calls to container 'EJB'or
'Database'and that returns back to the ActionServlet and the ActionServlet forwards
that onto the JSP, which construts the HTML response.....

I am unsure about this, could you clarify that please..
Thanks for your time Ted and have a great day.

Kind Regards
Rodney Smith

Struts uses a single ActionServlet. In the web.xml you can configure
your application to send request for various file patterns to the Struts
ActionSevlet. Usually these are either requests for URI's mathching *.do
or /do/*

The build.xml is used by Ant to compile an application. The web.xml is
read at start-up, along with the struts-config.xml. The
struts-config.xml is reloadable. I believe some containers may allow you
to also reload an application.

The container receives all requests first, and then decides what to do
with them. When a request matches the file pattern registered to the
ActionServlet, the container forwards it on. The ActionSerlvet then
consults the Struts ActionMappings, and calls the appropriate Action.