struts-user mailing list archives

From "Pete Byhre" <PeteBy...@Freightliner.com>
Subject Help! Unable to open taglibrary
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2001 15:40:13 GMT
We're trying to get struts installed on an intranet server with no internet
connection.  We're running tomcat 3.2.3 and struts 1.0.  We're just trying
to get a simple little app running that uses the struts-bean tag to pull a
hello world message from the resource file.  I've changed the DOCTYPE
elements in struts-config.xml, web.xml and struts-bean.tld to be like this
<!DOCTYPE taglib SYSTEM "http://localhost/dtd/web-jsptaglibrary_1_1.dtd">.
I believe everything is working except the taglib because when i remove the
<bean:message ... > tag and just do straight jsp, everything works.

We're getting a NullPointerException and I can't figure out why.  The exact
exception that we are getting is:

Error: 500
Location: /hello-world/hello.jsp
Internal Servlet Error:
org.apache.jasper.compiler.CompileException:
/javahome/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.3/webapps/hello-world/hello.jsp(1,0)
Unable to open taglibrary /WEB-INF/struts-bean.tld : Parse Error in the tag
library descriptor: java.lang.NullPointerException
	at java.lang.Exception.(Compiled Code)
	at javax.servlet.ServletException.(Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.jasper.JasperException.(Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.CompileException.(Compiled Code)
	at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspParseEventListener.handleDirective(Compiled
Code)
	at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.DelegatingListener.handleDirective(Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser$Directive.accept(Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parse(Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parse(Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parse(Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.doLoadJSP(Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JasperLoader.loadJSP(Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.loadJSP(Compiled Code)
	at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.loadIfNecessary(Compi
led Code)
	at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(Compiled
Code)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(Compiled
Code)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(Compiled Code)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.doService(Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.service(Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.service(Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.internalService(Compiled
Code)
	at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(Compiled Code)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.service.connector.Ajp13ConnectionHandler.processConnection
(Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(Compiled
Code)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Compiled Code)

If anyone can shed some light on what's wrong here, I'd really appreciate
it.
Thanks,
pb

"WorldSecure <Freightliner.com>" made the following
 annotations on 08/24/01 08:28:38

[INFO] -- Content Manager:
The information contained in this communication is confidential and intended solely for the
use of the individual to whom it is addressed and others authorized to receive it.  If you
are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking of any action
in reliance on the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please immediately notify the sender by phone if possible or via email message.