struts-user mailing list archives

From "troy hart" <th...@part.net>
Subject Re: Templates: a design question
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2001 16:25:00 GMT
The approach I use (and I believe it is a common approach) is to have two
jsp pages for each page on my site that is going to use templates. For
example, if I have an ecommerce site it is likely I will have a shopping
cart page, a search page and a search results pages... For this example, the
set of jsp pages would be as follows:

MainLayout.jsp - the main template layout page.
ShopCart_content.jsp - the actual content of the shopping card page.
ShopCart.jsp - the shopping cart page that references MainLayout.jsp and
tells it to use ShopCart_content.jsp...
Search_content.jsp - the actual content of the search page.
Search.jsp - the search page that references MainLayout.jsp and tells it to
use Search_content.jsp...
SearchResults_content.jsp - the actual content of the search results page.
SearchResults.jsp - the search results page that references MainLayout.jsp
and tells it to use SearchResults_content.jsp...

This way your action mappings reference ShopCart.jsp, Search.jsp, and
SearchResults.jsp...

Hope this helps,

Troy