struts-user mailing list archives

From "Jon Brisbin" <bris...@ipa.net>
Subject Re: Custom tags hiding JSP error messages
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2001 17:11:43 GMT
i've had this problem also...what i've found, though, is that the root error
will get logged into the tomcat/logs/servlet.log file...it won't display in
the jboss log, that's the jsp exception...check your tomcat log to see if it
logged it there (my action classes always log a NPE to the tomcat log)...

Jon Brisbin

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jamie Tsao" <jtsao@atinera.com>
To: <struts-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2001 11:44 AM
Subject: Custom tags hiding JSP error messages

Custom tags hiding JSP error messages

Hi,

I was curious whether other people encountered this problem.  I've used tag
libraries before, and am currently using struts' template tag library.  I
have found that runtime JSP errors, such as null pointer exceptions, are
hard to debug because the custom tags "hide" the error message.  The only
message that usually comes up is a JSPException, which isn't really too
helpful.  Without custom tags, you get exact line numbers with exact errors
(NullPointerException).  Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.  Can anybody
give an opinion ?

Thanks,

Jamie