struts-user mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Struts Documentation (*Ted & Craig*)
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:04:12 GMT
> Jonathan Asbell wrote:
> I wanted to know what you finally decided on regarding my recent
> documentation submission.  Also, I wanted to know if you saw the
> pictorals and thought they were accurate.

We should probably continue this on the DEV list so the threads don't
get tangled ;-)

>     On a side note, I have been struggling with a struts component
> that seems simple, yet I am stuck and cant understand it.  My impasse
> is in the path matching behavior of the servlet.  Has
> anyone implemented the matching on a path regardless of depth.  Like
> in the digester, where you can match on any "a" tag by using "*/a".  I
> am finding that Struts is forcing me to specify full paths to my
> actions, and that there is no way to get the text matching behavior of
> the Digester or xsl.  Is this the case?

I've never tried that myself.

In general, Struts encourages developers to be explicit regarding
entry points to their applications.

What are the design benefits of having the application walk up the tree
looking for an action to match?

Is it you want the option to override calling /login.do by simply
defining /account/login.do later?

Something similar could be done with a local forward, where each
mapping forwards to "login" but could have different paths specified.

(Though, I have the feeling that the problem is that you don't want to
specify the paths ;-).

-- Tel 716 737-3463.
-- http://www.husted.com/about/struts/