struts-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Tony Karas" <tonykarastomcatu...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Posting Collections
Date Fri, 11 May 2001 09:26:14 GMT
Thanks Niall.

I'm currently frustrated because I'm finding it hard to discover all the 
information I require.  Seems to be a general lack of documentation on 
struts usage, but it's a learning curve like anything else.

I like Struts in principle, and what it is trying to achieve, I just 
wondered if you considered it ready for building a large-scale project.  For 
example, this change that you have submitted is going to affect a lot of 
code.  So my options are to stick to my current solution without changing 
any of the Struts code, or modify the code so that it does what I want in 
the hope that the change will get propagated through to the next release.  
It doesn't feel like a good way to be working, but I take your point about 
Open Source, and I partly agree.

For the time being I'm going to persevere - and I look forward to seeing 
your custom tags so I don't have to "hack around with the code every time a 
new version comes out".

Cheers ;-)

Tony


>From: "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pemberton@btInternet.com>
>Reply-To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
>To: <struts-user@jakarta.apache.org>
>Subject: RE: Posting Collections
>Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 20:23:31 +0100
>
>This issue applies to all form field tags, not just checkboxes.
>
>Modifying struts tags is currently a pain, but I just subimitted a bugzilla
>enhancement to re-factor the tags so that they are more granualar and make
>it easier to override descrete bits such as generating the name attribute.
>In principle the enhacement has been accepted and I hope to submit a patch
>in the next few days. If it is accepted I will have a set of custom 
>versions
>of these tags for this behviour very soon and you won't have to "start
>hacking around with the code every time a new version comes out" and anyone
>will be welcome to them.
>
>Addtionally this issue is all on the "ToDo" list for 1.1 and I'm sure it
>will be sorted then.
>
>I think struts is excellent, and I love open source because you can always
>look inside to see what they've done. Of course it doesn't do everything 
>yet
>;-) but I can't see it getting anything but better. We have done quite a 
>bit
>of work customizing the ActionServlet and the way its been built is
>excellent, making it really easy to add addtional behaviour (hopefully)
>without having to hack around every time a new version comes out.
>
>Niall
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Tony Karas [mailto:tonykarastomcatuser@hotmail.com]
> > Sent: 10 May 2001 10:34
> > To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
> > Subject: RE: Posting Collections
> >
> >
> > Many thanks Niall, that clears things up for me.  Do you know if
> > there is a
> > reason why this is the behaviour for checkboxes?  Is this just with
> > checkboxes or other tags as well?
> >
> > I don't really like the idea of modifying the struts code - the
> > whole point
> > of deciding to use it is for code reuse - I don't want to start hacking
> > around with the code every time a new version comes out.
> >
> > Do you have an opinion on using Struts?  I've been using it for a
> > couple of
> > weeks now and have been struggling because of basic lack of
> > information.  I
> > get most of my training from this news group!  I'm wondering whether I
> > should just jack it in and use something else.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Tony
> >
> >
> > >From: "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pemberton@btInternet.com>
> > >Reply-To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
> > >To: <struts-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> > >Subject: RE: Posting Collections
> > >Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 20:51:00 +0100
> > >
> > >The problem is the CheckBox tag currently sets the HTML name attribute 
>to
> > >the property, so your JSP will produced something like this:
> > >
> > >         <input type="checkbox" name="delete">
> > >
> > >So all the checkbox fields will have the same name.
> > >
> > >In order for Struts to populate your Retailer bean with the delete 
>values
> > >you need the generated HTML to look like this:
> > >
> > >         <input type="checkbox" name="retailer[0].delete">
> > >         <input type="checkbox" name="retailer[1].delete"> etc etc.
> > >
> > >Struts would then use getRetailer(0).setDelete(boolean) to set the 
>delete
> > >attributes correctly.
> > >
> > >Unfortunately there is no easy solution - many people resort to
> > scriptlets
> > >to generate the name properly and there are quite a few messages in the
> > >archive about this.
> > >
> > >I created my own versions of Struts tags and changed them to generate 
>the
> > >name correctly - I like that much better - no java in the view.
> > >
> > >Niall
> > >
> > > > -----Original Message-----
> > > > From: Tony Karas [mailto:tonykarastomcatuser@hotmail.com]
> > > > Sent: 09 May 2001 17:50
> > > > To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
> > > > Subject: Posting Collections
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Briefly, this is what I am trying to achieve:
> > > >
> > > > - Retrieve a list of items from a database
> > > > - Display each item with a corresponding checkbox
> > > > - Display a "Delete" button - which when pressed deletes all
> > > > checked items.
> > > >
> > > > Unfortunately, although I have managed to display the items 
>correctly
> > >and
> > > > set the checkbox value using boolean values, when I do the form
> > > > submit - my
> > > > ActionForm properties do not get filled in.
> > > >
> > > > This is the code I have:
> > > >
> > > > My ActionForm looks like this:
> > > >
> > > > public class RetailerForm extends ActionForm
> > > > {
> > > >     protected Vector retailer;
> > > >
> > > >     /*
> > > >      * On construction, fill the form with all the retailers
> > > >      */
> > > >     public RetailerForm() throws SQLException
> > > >     {
> > > >          //here i have some code to generate my vector
> > > >          //which is comprised of "Retailer" beans.
> > > >     }
> > > >
> > > >     public Retailer getRetailer( int index )
> > > >     {
> > > >         return (Retailer)retailer.elementAt( index );
> > > >     }
> > > >
> > > >     public Vector getRetailer()
> > > >     {
> > > >         return retailer;
> > > >     }
> > > >
> > > >     public void setRetailer( Vector value )
> > > >     {
> > > >         retailer = value;
> > > >     }
> > > > }
> > > >
> > > > My "Retailer" bean has get and set elements for properties called
> > > > "delete"
> > > > and "name".
> > > >
> > > > My struts code looks like this (obviously within <html:form> tags):
> > > >
> > > > <logic:iterate id="retailer" name="retailerForm" 
>property="retailer">
> > > > 	<tr>
> > > > 	<td><html:checkbox name="retailer" property="delete"/></td>
> > > > 	<td><bean:write name="retailer" property="name"/></td>
> > > > 	</tr>
> > > > </logic:iterate>
> > > >
> > > > And this all works ok for displaying the data.  However, when I do 
>the
> > > > submit my "delete" property for each bean is not set and I have 
>added
> > > > debugging code to the "set" method and this is not called by
> > struts.  I
> > > > don't get error messages - it just doesn't happen.
> > > >
> > > > I know other people have had this problem, but I am
> > struggling to find a
> > > > solution.
> > > >
> > > > Can anyone help me?  Is there a better way of achieving what I am
> > > > trying to
> > > > achieve?  If I am doing the correct thing, what's the reason it's 
>not
> > > > working.
> > > >
> > > > All help appreciated.
> > > >
> > > > Cheers
> > > > Tony
> > > >
> > 
> >_________________________________________________________________________
> > > > Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at
> > >http://www.hotmail.com.
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
> > 
>_________________________________________________________________________
> > Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at 
>http://www.hotmail.com.
> >
> >
>

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.


Mime
View raw message