struts-user mailing list archives

From Incze Lajos <in...@mail.matav.hu>
Subject Re: You make the decision Velocity/Turbine vs. Struts/JSP
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2001 20:33:45 GMT
On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 01:15:34AM -0800, Wong Kok Wai wrote:
> So far, the arguments have been based on whether it is
> better for the page designer or Java developer. How
> about performance? IHMO, it would be interesting to
> find out the timing for each of the three approaches.
> I would agree with the Velocity's author that JSP
> taglibs is no much better than ColdFusion tags if
> performance is not addressed.

The elder I am the more tend to think that runtime
performance is the very last issue and communicability
of the design tend to climb up to the first place.
And XML is a special animal as it is defined mainly
for machine to machine communication (I mean it is SGML
without the lightenings targeted for human authors but
made the parsers more complicated).

I wrote:

> I think the "canonical" solution in JSP is something
> like this:
>
> ---
> <jsp:usebean id="name" scope="request"
> type="java.lang.String">
>   <jsp:setProperty name="name" value="Word" />
> </jsp:usebean>

> <h1>
> Hello <%= name %>
> </h1>
> ---
>
> On the other hand I do share Jon Stevens' views that
> this syntax is really not for page design people.
>       incze

The "canonical solution" is wrong, jsp:setproperty needs a property
attribute as well. (Q.e.d syntax is tough. It is becoming harder and
harder working from heart or simply I'm too old and my brain does not
serve as needed.) Sorry for that.                             incze