struts-user mailing list archives

From Dan Cancro <DCan...@corp.work.com>
Subject RE: Ted's FAQ "What Web sites are already Powered by Struts?"
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2001 16:30:35 GMT
I'd like to hear what you have to say about Visual Slick Edit, or any other
tools you use.  I'm collecting this sort of thing.

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Emaho, Ghoot [mailto:Ghoot@PETROTECHNICS.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2001 6:05 AM
To: 'struts-user@jakarta.apache.org'
Subject: RE: Ted's FAQ "What Web sites are already Powered by Struts?"

With regard to the development tool to use, i would suggest making the
distinction between  - 'fullblown IDEs', 'programmer editors', and 'text
editors'.

I noticed on this thread earlier that most people seem to working with
fullblown IDEs which surprised me a little. Personally, I use Visual Slick
Edit, as does my team [16 developers]. I would class this tool as a
'programmers editor' - as distinct from JBuilder/Visual Cafe etc which I
consider fullblown IDE's. There are advantages and disadvantages to each
type of tool, but this is something rarely pointed out to people -
particularly the people asking the question in the first place !

As final choice is always personal, I think it would be helpful to point out
the specific advantages to working with each type of tool in developing
struts and developing struts based applications - as there is sometimes a
mistaken assumption that the fullblown IDEs are more suitable. This really
depends on what kind of development you are doing - and what kind of
developer you are. [it doesn't depend on rights and wrongs !]

I felt moved to respond to this thread, as choice of development tool can
radically affect an individual's and/or team's performance and efficacy. In
my experience, this is an area somewhat neglected - save for the'HolyWar'
style of exchanges which do not interest me personally.

I would be happy to expand on our development tool of choice and it's
advantages in our context, if there is interest.

Ghoot Emaho