struts-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: web-app_2.2.dtd - how get a local copy?
Date Tue, 13 Feb 2001 17:13:34 GMT
Maya Muchnik wrote:

> Hello, all,
>
> Maybe this question for Tomcat developers.

That's true, although there is overlap here ... :-)

> As you know we are all using web.xml file for a servlet container. This
> file has the following lines :
>
> <!DOCTYPE web-app
>     PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.2//EN"
>     "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2.2.dtd">
>
> Every time when you start Tomcat, for example, you are getting the file
> web-app_2.2.dtd from java.sun.com site. Tomcat does not have this file
> itself.

Check inside "webserver.jar" -- you'll see a resource file named
"org/apache/tomcat/resources/web.dtd" that contains this text.  Otherwise,
Tomcat would not be able to start and run on an offline computer.  Tomcat
registers this resource file within the XML parser it uses, in effect saying
"when you see this public identifier, use my local copy instead of going out
across the network."

> When I have got it from java.sun.com, the file has the following
> a Copyright:

That's an oversight when the original Tomcat code was published.

> Maya

Craig