struts-user mailing list archives

From Peter Alfors <peter.alf...@irista.com>
Subject Re: session ids cont...
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2001 22:11:10 GMT
I added the "noCookies" attribute and set it to "true".  However, the two
instances of Netscape 4.7 still show that they are using the same session.
I.E. 5.0 does display different session ID still.

see notes below...

"Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:

> Peter Alfors wrote:
>
> > "Kramer, Gary" wrote:
> >

> > > I had similiar problems.  You need to turn off the use of Cookies on
> > > your server (in Tomcat this setting is in server.xml).   When the user
> > > opens 2 browsers, they will always have different session ids in both
> > > IE and Netscape since the first URL they will use will not have a
> > > session id included.
> > >

> > How do I turn off the use of cookies in the server.xml?  I only see one
> > location where cookies are mentioned.
> >         <!-- Request processing -->
> >         <!-- Session interceptor will extract the session id from
> > cookies and
> >              deal with URL rewriting ( by fixing the URL )
> >           -->
> >         <RequestInterceptor
> >             className="org.apache.tomcat.request.SessionInterceptor" />
> >
> > Do I comment out this section?
> >

> For Tomcat 3.2.1 there is a noCookies attribute on this entry that defaults
> to "false".  You need to set it to "true":
>
>     <RequestInterceptor
>         className="org.apache.tomcat.request.SessionInterceptor"
>         noCookies="true"/>
>
> NOTE:  Using URL rewriting does *not* catch every case of multiple windows
> sharing session ids.  Consider that the user can right-click on a hyperlink
> (containing the session id) and select "Open in New Window".  Because the
> hyperlink being clicked had a session id in it already, the new window will
> still be part of the old session -- so your app logic needs to be ready to
> deal with this.

So it sounds like what I am looking for is to get the browser instances (IE and
Netscape) to generate unique session ids. Then, I need to perform URL-rewriting
for all of my links within the webapp.  This will solve my problem if the user
has opened up multiple browser instances (from the desktop, not through file
--> new--> Window).
I can use the <html:link> tag to accomplish this throughout the site.

However, I will also need to add some sort of "smarts" to the app to handle the
possibility that the user opened a new browser instance from the (file --> new
--> Window) option.

Am I on the right track?  (sorry if I sound so confused, but I am)  :)