struts-user mailing list archives

From Sean Moore <seanmo...@mindspring.com>
Subject Re: Multi-page form
Date Tue, 10 Oct 2000 20:42:22 GMT
> Jason Kitchen wrote:
> I still think you're missing the point - maybe I didn't explain myself clearly.
> The solution you provide above means that each time you move a field from
> "step 1 form" to "step 2 form" or vice-versa you need to modify the correct
> "partialValidate" method. What I would like to do is to be able to move fields
> to another form with no code impact (other than JSP). I think that this is what
> the struts designers intended (comments from the struts developers ?) but
> the validations are preventing the relaization of this goal.

Thanks Jason - that is exactly what I am trying to do.
Maybe I am missing it but I have not heard a solution that does not
involve a framework change??

But Jason mentions this proposed modification

> In addition I think that this is easily achievable with a few modifications to the
> struts framework:
>
> - Change the ValidatingActionForm interface - the signature to the validate() method
>   becomes: public String[] validate(HttpServletRequest request);
>
> - In ActionServlet.processValidate() we need to pass the HttpServletRequest object
>   as a parameter when we call the validate method.

I guess after having the HttpServletRequest you can go thru all of the
arguments that were submitted and then select the ones to validate.
This is kind of what struts is already doing for you
by setting all of the variables in the bean.
I guess I was hoping for something a little more cleaner.  I
Just not sure what?

Am I misunderstanding the solution the modification will allow

Thanks,
Sean